Sunday, September 10, 2023

Diverse earthquakes: The Beloved Disciples of Bountiful and the quest for the Sawtooth Stone


On the morning of March 17, 2020, I had a dream in which a list was held up for me to see.  Across the top of the list was a title “Diverse Earthquakes”.   Below, the items of the list were broken down into two columns. However, the items themselves were too blurry for me to make out.  When I woke up, I wrote down the title.  As was the usual practice by this time after months of this type of thing going on every day, I forwarded the words to the other individual who was working with me, and then at periods throughout the day I would look into the phrase more.


I found the section in the Doctrine and Covenants I believed the phrase was pointing to - Section 45, where "earthquakes also in divers places" is mentioned.  There is a lot in that section relative to what I think is going on, but the purpose of this post isn't to try and dig into that.


The next morning, March 18, these were the words:

Zim uln
poured out without measure


I hadn't yet had a chance to forward these to my partner in crime yet, when he texted me to let me know about the earthquake in Salt Lake City that morning, and obviously made a connection to the "diverse earthquakes" phrase from the day before.  I hadn't heard about it, and the timing definitely did seem to be more than chance.


The interesting thing about the Salt Lake earthquake is that it knocked the trumpet out of the hands of the Angel Moroni that sits on top of the Salt Lake Temple.  Here is a picture of Moroni without his horn following the earthquake:




It's actually kind of funny.  What makes it even kind of more funny is that I now consider it a fairly amazing surgical strike and message deliberately leveled at Brigham Young's Mormonism that was carried out, I guess, by Heavenly Vandals.


Who were these Beings who disarmed Moroni of his trumpet?  I actually think their party included the 3 disciples from Bountiful.  Mormon lists some amazing powers that were given to these disciples, including their power over matter, the earth, etc.  From 3 Nephi 28:

And they were cast into prison by them who did not belong to the church. And the prisons could not hold them, for they were rent in twain.

And they were cast down into the earth; but they did smite the earth with the word of God, insomuch that by his power they were delivered out of the depths of the earth; and therefore they could not dig pits sufficient to hold them.


So, these disciples can rend prisons and smite the earth and be delivered from pits, depths, etc.  This power will be important to remember when we get to the Sawtooth Mountains later in this post.  For our purposes here, we will assume this same power enables the Disciples to also cause earthquakes.


And they are pretty good - obviously - with the power.  I mean to design an earthquake in such a way that you can dislodge the trumpet from Moroni, while keeping fatalities to zero and minimal damage in the city has got to take some skill.


The symbolism of the angel is what is important here in understanding this action, as I believe the Disciples are not just doing this out of spite or no love for the Mormon Church, but to formally relieve or disabuse that Church of the responsibilities it believes it bears, but in fact does not and hasn't for some time.  As church president Gordon Hinkley explained in 1997 about the angel symbolism:

The figure of Moroni, atop many of our temples, is a constant reminder of the vision of John the Revelator: ‘And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people’


What makes this even more interesting, as I believe the Beings of both John and Moroni were there in the company of the Disciples in knocking off that trumpet.  I can't speak for him, but I imagine Moroni might be tired of having his likeness (of one of his lives) paraded on the top of these temples.

[UPDATE:  In the above paragraph I note that I thought John was among the party.  For reasons now captured in my post dated Sept. 14 regarding the second part of Stone happenings after Sawtooth, I do not believe John would have been among the company.  I am not sure on Moroni, either, but definitely the 3 Disciples - in this story - seem to have been there]


In any case, it will not be through the Mormon church or its temples that the everlasting gospel will be preached. That gospel, or good news, will come from the Sawtooth Stone and the records and witnesses that have that gospel to share. Thus, on their quest to reclaim that Stone, this band of Good Guys stopped off to send a message that the true 'trumpet' or good news to preach to all nations will be forthcoming, and not from everything that Salt Lake temple is and represents.


Two weeks after the Salt Lake earthquake, on March 31 a quake measuring 6.5 occurred directly within the Sawtooth Mountains. Aftershocks continued through into September. As far as I know, records seem to show that this is not an area where earthquakes occure frequently, with no sizable earthquake happening within 30 miles of the zone over the last 50 years.


I was not aware of this quake at the time, and I hadn't even heard of the Sawtooth Mountains yet.  It wouldn't be until April 14 - two weeks later - that I heard about them.  That morning, I recorded these words:


Sawtooth Mountains
eldil balin


[Update:  The 'eldil balin' here is likely an oblique reference to a Balrog, which will become relevant in the next posts on what happened at Sawtooth.  I had included this in the comments section, but I disabled that and so it is not longer accessible.  Thus, referencing here for the curious.]

I saw the words 'Sawtooth Mountains' in a dream, and then a picture of a mountain was shown to me. I remembered it pretty vividly when I woke up, and would go on to describe it as kind of having the shape of a wide shark tooth (it seemed to me, at least).



I began searching Sawtooth Mountains. I found 3 ranges that were named this in the U.S. (At the time, Idaho hadn't shown up on my radar, so I didn't know where I was looking, but assumed U.S.). One was in northern Minnesota, another in upstate New York, and the third was in central Idaho. Each non-Idaho possibility looked interesting for different reasons. I live in Minnesota, so that seemed like a close connection. The word 'Albany' had shown up in other words, and the NY Sawtooth Mountains was north of Albany.


However, it was in looking up the Idaho Sawtooth range that I found the exact picture that had been shown to me in me dream. The mountain was conveniently named "William's Peak" - so with the picture lining up as well as the name, I felt like I found what I was looking for. Here is the mountain in question:



I am not sure if events that would later transpire happened actually at this mountain, or if whoever was sending me this info picked this mountain since it shared my name as a way to confirm I was in the right area. I lean toward the latter explanation, but I am not sure.


The Stone was a big enough part of the story by this point (always on my mind, basically) that I figured that this must be where it was located. In the following weeks, events would happen there that involved a fairly direct confrontation between good and evil in order to reclaim this stone.


This is also the exact time where my mind began to fail me, and it would be 3 weeks after first learning about the Sawtooth Mountains that I would have deteriorated significantly enough to go to the hospital. I would have gone from a person fairly (or very) obsessed and emotionally invested at this point in the words and story, to what I consider largely non-functional over that period of time.


So, what I piece together, is that our travelling band of Good Guys traveled to the Sawtooth Mountains, and stopped in Salt Lake on the way. Beginning on March 30, I believe the 3 Disciples commenced with their powers over the earth in creating a way for the Stone to be extracted. In other words, I don't think this was a 'bring your shovel' type of excavation. The Stone would be been deeply buried in the depths of  the Earth, and would have required the magical powers of these Disciples in order to have any hope of accessing it.


Thus, we have at least one answer to the riddle as to why these 3 Disciples were allowed to tarry on this Earth, and why they were given certain powers. Mormon said they would be among the Gentiles (us) in the Last Days performing a 'great and marvelous work' and that we would not know them. I believe their work at the Sawtooth Mountains was part of the great work they are performing today.


In my next post, I will go over a little more of the actual retrieval of the Stone, or at least some highlights of it, as well as the aftermath.









2 comments:

  1. Eldil — isn’t that a word from C. S. Lewis’s Space Trilogy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WJT:

    Yes it is. I think you cracked the riddle of the "Eldil Balin".

    I believe Balin is a proper name here (as in, Balin the dwarf whose tomb would be found in Moria). Eldil in Lewis' Trilogy were angelic-god-superhuman Beings, with some being good and others evil or 'bent'.

    Putting these together, I think you have an oblique reference to a Balrog, which is what the party encountered underneath the Sawtooth Mountains. I will go into this a bit more in my next post

    ReplyDelete