Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Christmas Eve: A monkey named Spaghetti holding a banana

We don't live too far away from my wife's parents.  They belong to the First United Methodist Church, and every year we go with them to their Christmas Eve service.  Afterwards, we go over to their house and have dinner before heading home to get ready for Santa.


This year, after the service when we got back my in-laws' house, my mother-in-law pulled out a small scrap of paper that had been given to her that night at the Christmas Eve service by another woman.  On the scrap of paper was a drawing our oldest son (who is now a teenager) had drawn several years ago when he was small  - maybe 6 years old, I think she said.


My son had been sitting next to the woman during the service, and to keep him busy, they gave him the paper and a pen.  Afterwards, she held on to it, and for the last 8+ years it has been in her purse, for whatever reason.  This Christmas Eve, she decided that she wanted to give the drawing back to our son.  I am not sure why.  So, she gave it to my mother-in-law, who pulled it out at dinner.


Here is the drawing:




It is a happy monkey, holding a banana, with large trees in the background.  I did not take a picture of the flip side, but you can make out some lettering on the other side of the paper that bled through in the picture if you look closely enough.  He wrote "Spaghetti" (though spelled 'spagetti').


My son remembers drawing the picture, and "Spaghetti" is the name he says he gave to the monkey in the drawing.  


Anyway, it was odd  that this woman kept this fairly unremarkable drawing in her possession for over 8 years, drawn by a child she would see on average twice a year (we go to the Easter service also), and even more odd that on this Christmas Eve she decided to give it back, and that it meant something for her to do so.


Of course, I say 'fairly unremarkable', which it is  on its own, but given recent writings and discussions that include bananas, monkeys,  and thin/ narrow things, people, and roads, I actually found it quite remarkable.


3 comments:

  1. In 2019 I wrote a post about children’s nonstandard forms of the word “spaghetti,” ending with a Curious George reference.

    There’s a Civil War connection, too, as “Gettysburg” sounds like “spaghetti” with the first syllable moved to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a minute to get your Civil War connection, as I tried to initially just move the first syllable 'get' to the end to make 'tysburgget', which sounded nothing like spaghetti.

    But then I got it. Move 'getty' back and make spurg-getty, which definitely sounds like spaghetti. Clever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot the link: https://narrowdesert.blogspot.com/2019/04/the-mystery-of-baschetti.html

    ReplyDelete