Sunday, April 7, 2024

Roman Reigns as Peter-Marsh: "I am here to retain the Key to the Kingdom"

It would be very hard to overstate just how much fun I am having with this WWE storyline.  This is great!


I didn't think I was going to be able to watch any of WrestleMania.  Leo had mentioned in the comments of my earlier post that it was only on Peacock Plus or something like that, which I don't have, and as fascinated as I have been in the video segments I have seen promoting the event, I didn't think I was going to pay to watch it if that was required.


After the kids were asleep, though, I sat down to write out last night's post (Part 2 of the Gim G's).  I was sitting on the couch in front of the TV, and I decided to turn it on while I wrote.   The channel that it had been left on (Fox, I think) had a WWE event on, so I at first wondered if I was actually looking at WrestleMania.  No, it turns out - it was a rerun of SmackDown from Friday night.  But, seeing the wrestling got me thinking I would just confirm whether or not I had access to WrestleMania.


It turns out I did!  Where I am, at least, Peacock and WrestleMania is just carried through my cable subscriber.  So, I flipped over to Peacock, and Lo!  no joke, but the main event with Roman Reigns, The Rock, Cody Rhodes, and Seth Rollins was just starting.  Great timing!  I turned it on just as Rollins was doing his entrance (Rhodes was already in the ring).  The Rock and Roman entered afterward.


The fight started out kind of slow, to be honest, but then it got to be a lot of fun.  I put down my computer and just had a good time watching the spectacle.  After the main event was over (Roman and The Rock won, as most people expected, to set up a 2nd night match between Roman and Cody where pretty much no rules apply), I picked up my computer again and continued writing.


I left the TV on in the background, and to my surprise they held a press conference with various individuals afterward, similar to what is done after 'standard' sporting events.  I was kind of tuning in and out of the interviews as I was trying to get my post done - it was interesting to see that some characters like Roman Reigns and his manager The Wiseman never broke character.  Others, like The Rock, were a little more loose with their character vs. themselves.  They even had Triple H, who is now on the business end of things, come on and talk a bit about things just from a WWE management side of things.


Definitely some really good nuggets from the main event itself, as well as in the press conference, that I can tie into what some things on this blog, but for this post I wanted to quickly capture a thing or two from the Roman Reigns' interview specifically


He said and did two things, that I noticed, that directly relate to this Ingwe-Peter-Alma-Marsh analogy I have seen in his name and character.  I am going to mention them briefly, and then conclude with the specific video clip itself that has what I am referencing.  Again, for whatever reason, I found the press conference pretty entertaining.  Roman and the Wiseman do a good job of staying in character.


In my previous posts, I've brought up that as Alma, Peter-Marsh was given explicit power and permission from God to determine who is in and out of the 'church'.  Alma-Peter-Marsh had the list, as it were, and could blot names and remove them from among the people, if they did not repent.


Well, starting at at 1:10 in the clip, he calls on one reporter to ask him a question.  She begins by acknowledging that he is her Tribal Chief.  He says "That's right", and he and the Wiseman ask the room to acknowledge him.  Apparently, by the way, this involves people holding up the 'Number 1' sign with their hand (The Wiseman gets really into it).  In the Gim G Part 1 post, we walked through Ingwe's name iterations, including its meaning as "Chief".  I did not though (I don't think) mention that "Ing" - the base root of that name - means "first or foremost", which is the very hand symbol that The Wiseman and Roman ask people to make in 'acknowledging' him.


Hilariously, another woman boos him during the requested acknowledgement.  Roman then exercises his right of judgment.  She is excused from the room, and he makes sure she is gone before things continue.  I just thought it was funny that I had actually spent some time in my last post talking about this aspect of Alma-Peter, the part around judgment, and here Roman is blotting this woman's name out, kicking her out from the group, and exercising his doorman-ship by literally showing this woman the door. 


Too funny.


The second thing he says that might interest us refers to keys.  This one I also found fascinating.


At about 1:55, Roman says that the group better give him some good questions, because he is all business and here to 'work'.  As he explains this, he uses a phrase that seemed almost too good to be true as we have gone down this road of using Roman Reigns as an analogy for Peter and for Thomas Marsh.  He says this:


I am here to retain the Key to the Kingdom.


Again, this is awesome.  Peter-Marsh was given the Kingdom Keys, in multiple instances and iterations of that Being as we have explored here on the blog also, and I have argued that he still retains them - they haven't been given to anybody else.  And here Roman Reigns, in referring to his champion belt apparently, reiterates that he has the the Key and is all about retaining it.


Maybe he is reading this blog after all?  If so, I hope he knows that he is only an analogy here and not the real deal, no matter how much he embraces the Peter-Marsh character elements.  The job has already been spoken for, Roman!


Anyway, here is the video clip that has what I am referring to.  It is only about a 3 minute segment.




4 comments:

  1. Too funny. You’ve used the very phrase “retain the keys” wrt Marsh before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man quite an event this weekend. I was worried after last night’s dominance by the Rock and Roman that they were setting it up for a big comeback by Cody to “finish the story” like they were saying and unfortunately that is what we saw. My son and I had a great time watching but I was so invested in seeing Roman retain his title that I couldn’t help but be disappointed when he didn’t. But I suspect he will have another shot at revenge down the line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it was fun to watch. I only saw the main events both nights, but I thought it was entertaining. I was definitely pulling for a Roman win, but from what I had read, most people were thinking a Cody victory was inevitable from how the storyline was shaping up and being telegraphed. And Cody definitely seemed to be the fan favorite tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like Roman has been phasing out of WWE intentionally so I suppose this loss was inevitable like you said. Still, it was by far the best "conference weekend" I've ever had. If General Conference were like this I'd probably still be an active Mormon.

    ReplyDelete