Saturday, May 4, 2024

Liberty Bell Follow-Up: The Liberty Bowl

As I was wrapping up my post earlier today on the Walts and Pharazon, I looked up at what my son was watching on TV in the hotel room as we were taking a quick break here after his last game.


A football game was on the screen.  It was the new UFL, the NFL-wannabee league that plays during the NFL's offseason.  An image of the Liberty Bell, which I had just been writing about, flashed on the screen very briefly.  It was on a stadium scoreboard in the background of the TV image, and it was just a brief shot, but I realized that the game was being played in Memphis, Tennessee at the football stadium where the Liberty Bowl is played.


In college, I played in exactly one bowl game during my own football career, because the other years we were pretty much hot garbage.  That bowl game?  The Liberty Bowl.  Here is their current logo, with AutoZone now as the chief sponsor (it was AXA back in the day for me):





Anyway, I thought it was an interesting little sync that as I was literally wrapping up my post in writing about the Liberty Bell, here on the TV was a game being played in the stadium where the Liberty Bowl game is played (the stadium itself is called Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium), and that I recognized it and the brief symbol that I saw on the distant scoreboard because I had played in that stadium in my one and only bowl game.


My mind kept going, though, which brought me to Elvis and Graceland for a few reasons, but this is meant to be just a short note, so I am going to stop here.

4 comments:

  1. “Walts” in your opening sentence put the old Patti Page song “Tennessee Waltz” in my head. Then I read on, and you mentioned Tennessee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Tennessee but I still have a full head of hair so I’m hoping that disqualifies me from being a Tennessee Walt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WJT:

    I've never heard that song before. I wonder if the lyrics or the theme plays in some how.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leo:

    I think I cracked the riddle or code yesterday on this whole strange Bald Man theme. It is pretty good, I think (if I have it right). Your comment makes me think that perhaps I should try and get a post out on that before going more into Orion.

    ReplyDelete