Friday, January 12, 2024

Dumpster diving for "Artu heal": A quick addendum to my last post

 Likely because I am not really functionally able to do much at the moment, and lying around too long gets me antsy, I had a thought to go pull out that magazine in the trash can that gave me the "artu heal" word that kicked off my other post from earlier today.  The result was interesting enough where I thought I would write a short second post today.


When I had initially seen the magazine and the words last night/ early this morning, I did move the some of the garbage around the title to see what the actual words were (which is how I knew that Artu Heal came from Startup Health), but I didn't see anything else of the magazine, and I got curious about it for whatever reason.


So I decided to go dumpster diving, mini-trash can style.  I'm sick - why not.


Fortunately, the magazine was sitting right at the top, for the most part - just a single layer of some papers and dry tissues were over the rest of it, so it was in pristine condition.  When I pulled it completely out of the trash, I was immediately glad I did when I saw the cover.  I figured I was on to something.


Here is the cover:


So you can see how the "Artu" is stacked directly over the "Heal" in the title, and this is what I saw in the trash can with trash covering the rest of the magazine.


Anyway, I pull this thing out of the garbage and see what I instantly take as a rising sun!  Which obviously maps very well to what I had just written about and associated the "artu heal" phrase with, in terms of the larger story of Tirion, and Faramir with the Anor Stone/ El-Anor (the Sun and Son of Righteousness) rising to it.


The main article or lead title seemed to support this notion as well, with the title "The Dawn of Exponential Progress" referring to a sunrise, and big things happening afterward.


Also interestingly, the term 'moonshot' is listed two different times on the cover.  For those not aware, 'moonshot' is a term used in business and innovation circles to describe a difficult or ambitious project.  The term itself, however, originated with NASA and actual rocket launches to the moon in the space program.  A rocket that was heading to the moon was said to be on a moonshot.  This obviously works very nicely with the theme of Faramir and his Anor Stone heading off to join up with Eowyn and her Ithil Stone, a moonshot if there ever was one (in what might also be an ambitious project).


So I see all this or take it in pretty quickly as I am scanning the cover, and then I wonder who actually published this magazine?  My wife works in the healthcare industry, currently at a health/ med tech start up, which I assume was how this magazine ended up in our house, probably from a convention or pitch she attended.


I opened up the cover and came to the forward of this magazine edition, which included the picture and names of the two co-founders of "Startup+Health", which turns out to be a company.  Here is part of the second page of the foreword with their pictures and names:


As I look at the man on the right, it suddenly hits me or all comes back to me:  I know these guys!  And by know them, I mean I have met them exactly one time in person, at a dinner in where else but New York City.  It would be even cooler if I said we had dinner together at the Empire State Building, but alas, that wasn't the case.


Anyway, you definitely remember when you meet a person named "Unity" and they are asking you for money.  The backstory is this:


I was in New York City representing the company I worked for at the time.  Google was holding a meeting in partnership with other media tech companies like Facebook, Twitter, etc.  They were looking to expand more rapidly into the Healthcare space, and wanted to identify opportunities to work with companies who actually were in Healthcare.   My company had a large Healthcare business, in addition to other industries, and so we were invited to this meeting, which is why I was there.


The meeting itself was not very interesting, except for a couple memorable things - one of which involved me.  The Facebook executive was up on stage giving some pitch that I can't remember.  I believe he was trying to make some point that Facebook presents a great opportunity as a Healthcare platform, because who doesn't have a Facebook account?  He then asked, looking for support on this, for anyone in the audience who did not have an account to raise their hand.


My hand shot straight up, and I was literally the only one.  The presenter then made a joke, pointing to me and saying that I could come up and see him after the meeting, and he could hook me up with an account as Facebook was giving them away for free that day.  Everyone was looking at me and laughing, and in my mind I wanted to say back to him something like "But you and I both know that account wouldn't really be free, right?", referencing the practice of these companies making a ton of money off of personal data, the privacy concerns that existed at that time, and the substantial behavioral issues people can experience on Facebook and other social media platforms. . . but instead just sat there and took it, and we went on with the rest of things.


The second thing I remember is the Google executive walking around with his Google Glass on.  He was making a pitch that they were going to be revolutionary, even in a Healthcare setting, with doctors and nurses and everybody walking around hospitals wearing these things.  My thought was that he looked like a fool with those on his face, and that rather than him wearing the Glass, it looked liked the Glass was wearing him.  Anyway, I made a mental note that based on his appearance and the demonstration he gave, literally no one was going to be walking around with those things on in a couple years.  And that was one prediction that actually turned out to be true.


All that aside, I had also been invited to a dinner following the meeting by none other than the two gentlemen who published the magazine I have just pulled out of the garbage today, and which gave me the "artu heal".


They were looking for investments from and partnerships with a smaller subset of the companies present at the Google meeting that aligned to some of the spaces they were interested in (and had deep pockets!), and so I was there at some restaurant in NYC that I have since forgotten, having dinner with these two gentlemen and a very small group of other businessmen like me.  I don't remember anything about the dinner other than nothing seemed interesting to me, and one of the guys' names was Unity, and even that I had completely forgotten about until I saw his face and name staring back at me from the page.  Then it all came back to me.


So there you go.



5 comments:

  1. The tech world is deeply obsessed w AI and space travel and immortality through science. It seems like an end run around the real plan. Or in other words, a poor substitute for it -- essentially a new tower to reach heaven. Who needs an ancient stone if you can just fire up the rockets?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leo:

    Great point.

    I don't think my photo of the forward page captured it since it cut off the top, but in the upper margin of the page they make a special mention that the cover itself was designed by AI. Here is quote:

    "Given our issue theme we decided to use AI to design the cover. We asked ChatGPT for three creative directions based on our feature story and then fed those prompts into three AI image generators. Then a few (very human) editors picked their favorite"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, your thought has me thinking Sarumanic influences then in the tech industry, given this notion of a false tower to reach Heaven. Seems like it would be something that fits him or some Being that is like him, in terms of an evil influence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that's what I was trying to say but not very well. Sarumanic influences is a good way to say it. Not surprising that you'd be caught up in a pitch for this in New York. If they can get you on team Saruman then you're not on team Stone. Anyway, after my earlier comment I was indulging in some potato chips at dinner and just before munching one I realized it was a pretty good potato chip rendition of the Millennium Falcon. My boys guessed what it was without me telling them. Too bad I can't post a picture, but it made me laugh after the Star Wars references from your recent postings.

    Then my nephew came into the kitchen quoting some cartoon saying "i'm not the banana king" with someone replying "yes you are the banana king." I didn't have to go digging through the garbage at least, but it was amusing nonetheless to observe some silly connections/syncs at dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also good to see that Mr. Potato Head was transformed into potato chips and summarily eaten.

    ReplyDelete