Sunday, January 14, 2024

"Surrounding Darkness": Dream 1 of 3

This is the second part of my post earlier today.  In that earlier post, I just listed some interesting things about a marketing email from the Book of the Month club relative to Bald Men and other random things.  I read this email after I was already thinking about a few short dream sequences I just had.


I am going to actually even break this post up into probably 3 more separate entries.  I originally thought I was going to be able to do it in one, since the dream sequences were short and I initially just had some quick reactions and thoughts.  But, some things have grown a bit as they stayed on my mind, even as I first started to write this follow-up post.


Interestingly, the dreams, I believe, tie back to at least Eowyn-Ilmare (The Anchorwoman, which I will get to shortly) but also potentially Asenath.  In prior posts I have highlighted something I've termed "Deseret's Book", and so it was interesting that some of these connections happened in an email from the Book of the Month club as I was in the process of trying to process and think through some of the dream meanings.


There were three primary dream sequences, and so I am planning on one post per dream.  This post will focus on just the first dream.  The second will touch on "The Anchorwoman", and the third will be about some interesting speech problems.  I will try to get these done before anything else, but no promises - if something else comes up that is interesting in the meantime that I feel I need or want to get down, I will reshuffle.


"Surrounding Darkness"


The first dream sequence I actually don't remember all of, at least not the actual words used.  It was a verbal explanation of things, and I lost some of the detail in multiple stages - first as a I woke up, and then even more later in the morning as I thought back more and realized I had lost even more.


Despite that, however, this was an important one in reshaping some of my thinking relative to a place called "Embaru" and event reconsider who is speaking in an important dialogue that I covered with the events of the Sawtooth Stone last falle.


The primary phrase that I recall was about a "Surrounding Darkness", and I retained my understanding of what this referred to, or at least the context it was being presented within.  Specifically, this has to do with following up on my post from two days ago, where I talked about the thoughts growing out of the "Artu Heal" phrase from the magazine in my trash can.  I introduce briefly, and then concluded by further discussing, the concept that when it comes to "Holy Places" such as Tirion and Asenath's house on Eressea - Jerusalem and New Jerusalem - they are not yet in a position to play the roles they are destined to.  This has to do with the "Darkness" that currently dominates all lands of the Earth, including Valinor and Eressea (and our world).  The Holy Places are surrounded by darkness, and they themselves are not yet the Light that can shine and break through that darkness.


In that "Artu Heal" post I concluded with a reference to 1 Nephi 14.  It deserves a longer post, but just for our purposes here, Nephi in his vision sees the state that I currently believe all of the lands of this Earth (Valinor, Eressea #1 and #2, and this world) are in.  He relates:


And it came to pass that I looked and beheld the whore of all the earth, and she sat upon many waters; and she had dominion over all the earth, among all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people.

And it came to pass that I beheld the church of the Lamb of God, and its numbers were few, because of the wickedness and abominations of the whore who sat upon many waters; nevertheless, I beheld that the church of the Lamb, who were the saints of God, were also upon all the face of the earth; and their dominions upon the face of the earth were small, because of the wickedness of the great whore whom I saw.


Ungoliant has come up enough to probably correctly identify her, if not the, at least part of this vision of the darkness that covers Arda at this point (see A Vampire's Weekend post).  I think Leo, who comments on this blog, also had the insight as well, relative to this Being and this specific reference in the Book of Mormon.


At this time, here-now, her darkness spans across everything, I think, and it is a darkness that started all the way back with the destruction of the Two Trees in Valinor, a Light that has yet to be restored.


So, basically, what I am saying, unfortunately, is that if you are imagining an idyllic "Heaven" right now where countless Beings are lounging around in a state of complete happiness, without a care in the world, and that you are going to go there when you die and join them and it is all taken care of, then you may be surprised.  Rather, most of the Beings we would imagine being in Heaven - the place that is there home - are scattered across all of the lands that currently Darkness has dominion over, waiting on promises, even if they have forgotten and aren't aware of it.  Only a few are left who know anything, by design, and they are holding down their respective small dominions, surrounded by this darkness.


Asenath and Eowyn-Ilmare are two of these Beings, who stayed 'behind' in this capacity while much of their House has stepped into the darkness itself, in a very real way become part of it as they have become blind to much else, not remembering who they are.


Potentially a depressing picture, but in some ways I like it better than other traditional views of our situation.   The Beings of Heaven have thrown their lot in with the rest of us - Family and Friends in an all for one, and one for all plan -  and I think it is all part of Jesus' larger and intended plan, and it is going to come out OK.  More than OK, in my view (and my hope).


Anyway, based on this dream and some of my additional thinking today, I have also changed my mind on an important element of the Sawtooth Stone story.


In my post, Asenath vs. the Son of Baal-ox within the Sawtooth Mountains, I suggested, or indirectly alluded to, Beings leaving from Eressea and coming to our world in their quest to recover the Sawtooth Stone (following Joseph's rescue).  I didn't directly state it there, though my have summarized it in a later post, but I had these Beings interacting with Asenath as they left Eressea.


"Embaru" was the name of the place there Beings were at, and were leaving from, and I originally thought this was another name for Eressea, which seemed to make sense.  However, I do not believe this is the case, but rather refers to Tirion.


Consequently, my story changes slightly, with the Beings now leaving from Tirion instead of Eressea, and interacting with Eowyn-Ilmare rather than Asenath.   The Beings themselves would have been the Three Disciples, I believe.


Here are the original words from March 2020 (in looking back at the post where I included them, I realize I didn't include the March 10 words, nor give my guess as to the March 11 translations... here I have included the missing words, and given my guesses):


March 10, 2020

V1 (Eowyn): Aimarao back nice embaru power come bed [trans.  Hail Holy/ Good Ones back to small/ little mother-home.  Power (or permission) to go Bed of Wheat and Tares (our world)]
V2 (Three Disciples): We go. You keeping your cool?
Eowyn: Urge on.
Three Disciples: We reading rock-stone


March 11, 2020

[Internal dialogue of the Three Disciples, I think]
Now we go today
we must go to sail
Ausir ungmar besse garilyo [trans: Wealth spider-gloom-home wife defending/ holding]
jewel-house to gather 
made white


These dialogues from those two days make even more sense than they did before based on my thinking today following that first dream sequence.


Here, we have Eowyn welcoming the Beloved Disciples to her small dominion at Tirion.  She tells them (or perhaps is just confirming) that they have permission to come to our world (a land that has been referred to before in my words as the Bed of Wheat and Tares).  This permission I think would have come from Jesus based on the events at Bountiful as captured in 3 Nephi.  They tell her that their plan is to go, and then ask if she is keeping her cool (which is a strange/ funny way of these words being conveyed, as I am not sure that is how they would have actually asked in whatever language they are speaking).


She tells them they need to hurry ("urge on"), and they reply that they are "reading" the stone.  By reading, I think they mean one of the alternative or archaic meanings from Etymonline, something like advising, counseling, learning about, searching, deliberating, etc.  Meaning, they haven't been idle, but have been engaged in activities regarding the extraction of the stone.


It appears that after assessing the situation , the next "day" the Disciples make the decision that they must 'sail' that day to begin the quest for the Stone.  The reason given or implied is that the spouse of Ausir (the name that means Wealth), who is Eowyn, is holding down or defending her home amidst a spider-gloom (the "ung" in "Ungmar"), and so there is some urgency, perhaps? I am not sure.  In any case, "Ung" in the dialogue above can mean both "gloom/darkness" and "spider", and I suggest here that it in fact does mean both.  One can see this root in the name of Ungoliant herself.


Ausir is an interesting name.  This is traditionally an alternative name, even in Tolkien's writings, of Dior.  I know it is confusing to keep track of all the names and identities, but Dior is also Joseph of Egypt, and his wife Nimloth is Asenath.  


At first blush, then, it seems that Ausir's wife must refer to Asenath here, and that is what I assumed up until today.  But as thoughts just kept building, I realized that this doesn't have to be the case, and as indicated above, I believe it is Eowyn instead (but this is a relatively new thought I am exploring, and although it makes more sense to me right now, again I reserve the right to be completely wrong).


I have identified Faramir-Eonwe as the Seer from Lehi's recounting of Joseph's prophecy that he gave to his own son Joseph (a Seer because he will be in possession of Stones, it seems the Anor and Sawtooth, perhaps).  In that prophecy, Joseph remarks that the Seer will be named after him.  For ~200 years Mormons have assumed this fits nicely with Joseph Smith, who was clearly named after Joseph, and also his father, Joseph Sr.


What I am proposing, however, is that the name that Joseph was referring to was not that name, but his name of Ausir.  Ausir, then, would be a name that both of these Beings would be called or referred to at some point in their lives.  It may seem like a stretch if this is a new concept, but to me it makes complete sense.


Thus, we have a reference to Eowyn-Ilmare surrounded by darkness, holding her small dominion against the spider-demon that has dominion over pretty much everything else, with a few exceptions (such as Asenath's own small house on the outskirts of Eressea, Nerdanel's home at Foremenos, Tom Bombadil-Abraham's House here in our world, and likely several other Beings and places that are holding out against the darkness).  But she asked the Disciples (back in 2020) to begin the quest for the tools that will at some point begin to bring the light back, starting in Tirion.


That then fits into the rest of the narrative regarding the link between Tirion and here, and between her and Faramir, the sharing of stories, the actual travel of individuals, and the re-kindling of Light or a Beacon in defeating the darkness.


Dream #2 from this morning will further cover Eowyn-Ilmare, actually, with this reference to "The Anchorwoman".  That is my plan for the next post unless something else comes up.



13 comments:

  1. This right? 2 Ne 3:15

    And his [Faramir's] name shall be called after me [Ausir]; and it [Ausir] shall be after the name of his father [Eru]. And he [Faramir] shall be like unto me [Joseph]; for the thing, which the Lord shall bring forth by his [Faramir/Ausir's] hand, by the power of the Lord shall bring my [Joseph's] people unto salvation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think, except for potentially where you have Eru. It might be better to have Abraham/ Ki-Abroam/ Aule in that space. Abraham was noted as being very wealthy (in multiple ways), and so the name or title seems to fit, and it also goes with the notion of Faramir as the heir of Aule and Yavanna.

    But probably either could work, I guess. And other than that, how you have written it is how I have it (with the Ausir's being Joseph and Faramir-Eonwe).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see your point. I was going off the idea you expressed that Faramir is Eru's son but then I now remember that Asenath is who I think you said is his sister and Eru's daughter, so in the context of this verse since Faramir and Joseph aren't siblings under Eru, they might instead essentially be adopted siblings to Aule which would make him the father/Lord in that verse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, not adopted siblings, I don't think.

    I don't see anywhere in those verses that it is required that Joseph and the seer have the same father. Joseph only mentions 'his' father, speaking of the seer, I believe. Not Joseph's. But maybe I missed something.

    They are brothers by marriage, though, if that matters (in-laws).

    It probably isn't clear or didn't stand out too much since I think I've scattered mentions of it around various posts, but my current view is this:

    In a time long before Arda (this Earth's creation):

    Asenath and Faramir are the children of Eru
    Eowyn and Joseph are the children of Thingol (Elu) and Melian
    (Eru and Thingol being something like brothers, if not actual ones)

    Then for this Earth, those two sets of twins are born to the Valar, looking like this now:

    Asenath and Faramir are children of Aule and Yavanna
    Eowyn and Joseph are children of Manwe and Varda

    So, that is why I said it could potentially be either... Faramir-Eowne seems to be the son of both Eru and Aule (in this exploratory tale), just depends on how far back you go.

    I don't know if that helps, or muddies things more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Embaru"? Anything to do with the Green Emberü mentioned in the NCPs?

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the part where Tolkien is writing about mystically empathising with a meteorite so as to leave Earth in dream, Emberu is talked about as another planet.

    "'Travelling on a dream-meteor!' said Frankley. 'Hm! So that's your method, is it?'

    'No,' said Ramer. 'Not if you mean how I got the news of Emberu that I put into my tale. But I did work back into the meteorite's history, I think; though that sort of vehicle does not readily give any place or time references that can be related to our waking point."

    https://notionclubpapers.blogspot.com/2013/05/tolkien-travelling-on-dream-meteor.html

    This fits with the idea of there being other inhabited planets out there in space, not just people inhabiting Earth in other dimensions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WG:

    Great find!

    I knew I had seen that word before, or at least something very similar, and tried to find it as I was writing this post, but couldn't.

    I don't know if it is meant to be the same place or world, but clearly there is the common tie that in the NCP Emberu is a world or planet separate from this one and the question of how one can travel to worlds like Emberu (or Embaru) is a primary question that Ramer and the group explore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ben:

    Thanks for those links, and agree the situation and discussion of the NCP seems to support the idea of other worlds.

    I did find it interesting that in exploring the thought of how a person might travel to a world like Emberu, Ramer refers to the meteorite, and he and the group repeatedly refer to it as a 'stone'. Rame directly says that his desire to get off the earth was what led him to study the meteorite, or stone, in the first place.

    Of course, he says the results weren't satisfactory, but that is because he wasn't studying the right stone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WG and Ben, nice finds! It's funny b/c a couple months ago i was re-reading NCP trying to make sense of Ramer's experiences and even so I failed to connect Emberu with this post. I do think Tolkien was attempting to discover something in his NCP writings about how to leave the planet and also how to connect with higher Beings. Given Ramer's connection to Faramir's dream it seems like he was trying to sort out how Faramir would do what he needed to do when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These comments reminded me that I actually left a few thoughts myself on Bruce Charlton's blog early last year, where he was imaginatively thinking through how the NCP might have ended if Tolkien finished it. I wasn't writing a blog yet (this was last April it looks like), so left probably too many and too long a set of comments on his post.

    https://notionclubpapers.blogspot.com/2023/04/my-treatment-for-how-notion-club-papers.html

    In my comments there, I had Ramer essentially turning into an antagonist at some point, as I thought about how things might play out. This was based somewhat on Dolbear's vision of him with a long nose and unable to drink whiskey from a glass due to his arms having been replaced by black wings that Dolbear said made him look like the devil.

    I haven't thought about it really since, so I'd have to kind of see where I still stand on all of that. And it is funny that despite having read the NCPs a few times now, I didn't see that connection between Embaru and Emberu until WG pointed it out, and ben supplied the link.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heh, thank you both. I'd jotted down some observations during an initial read of the NCPs last year. At the time (mid-November), Green Emberü only stuck out because of in-book note 48, containing "golden" in one version of the text and "silver" in another (making another small connection with all those syncs).

    Out of curiosity, WW, what were your thoughts about Emb[a/e]ru before that dream?

    ReplyDelete
  12. WG:

    I had thought Embaru was Eressea, and the person welcoming the Three Disciples was Asenath.

    But now I think it is Tirion/Valinor, and the person is Eowyn.

    ReplyDelete
  13. From an epilogue that didn't make it into LOTR. Sam talking to his daughter Elanor:

    'But I don't want to look at myself, Sam-dad. I want to look at other things. I want to see the hill of Amroth where the King met Arwen, and the silver trees, and the little white niphredil, and the golden elanor in the grass that is always green. And I want to hear Elves singing.'

    'Then, maybe, you will one day, Elanor. I said the same thing when I was your age, and long after it, and there didn't seem to be no hope. And yet I saw them, and I heard them.'

    We have a hill, a man and woman interacting, silver and gold, the colour green, the name Elanor.


    https://notionclubpapers.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-epilogue-to-lord-of-rings-what.html

    ReplyDelete