Sunday, January 7, 2024

Abna ore-aqui

I just wanted to quickly log a name/ phrase from a dream earlier this morning.   I don't remember anything else of the dream other than the name, which was:  Abna ore-aqui.  But was pretty clear, felt like something (i.e., not gibberish), and so I held on to it for a bit and see if it would turn into something.


The phrase was 'verbal' in the sense I didn't see it or read it, so spelling above is based on that, for whatever it's worth.


It didn't really leave, so I thought I would look into it.


"Abna" felt like a name in my dream, but in searching in Eldamo, I hit a dead end.  Nothing really worked, and I only spent a couple minutes on it.  I could get a phrase out of the word that made sense in its own way by splitting the word into "ab" and "na", but it felt forced, and didn't really anything like a name or anything really satisfactory.


So, I dropped it for a bit and went on to other things.


Revisiting it a while later because it was still on my mind, and still assuming that Abna was a name, I did an online search for "Abna name meaning", and the results were promising.


Apparently, Abna means "Father of Light" in Hebrew (being a form a Abner, I guess).  This definition seemed to tie with some themes on this blog, particularly the Family of Light which I have written a bit about.  This "Abna" then could refer to either Joseph-Irmo or Faramir-Eonwe, who with Asenath-Nimloth and Faramir-Ilmare, seem to be the Beings that this Family will be reunited with.


Given the amount I have written on Faramir-Eonwe, my mind went to him first, and then I had a memory come to me from when I served my LDS mission in Australia that actually seemed to confirm this (and give a bit of a funny hint - to me at least - as to why "Abna" was even used).


While stationed in the city of Brisbane, I was part of a flat that had two missionary companionships.  One of the Elders of the other companionship was fresh out in the mission field (I had been out for about a year at this point).  It was clear within the first few days of him being in our apartment that he had never read the Book of Mormon before in his life, despite being straight out of Utah.  Stories that I had taken for granted that literally every Mormon knew about were unexplored territory for this guy.  


One afternoon, he had been reading a bit in the BoM, and started asking some questions about a character named "Abnadi" (he pronounced it Abna-die), who he had never heard of before.  I was trying to figure out who he was talking about, before I realized he meant "Abinadi" (which seems obvious in hindsight, but I think I was just so certain that everybody know how to pronounce Abinadi that I just didn't initially consider it).  Anyway, the others and I had a pretty good laugh at his expense.


So, I thought of that as I connected "Abna" with Faramir-Eonwe, one of these Fathers of Light, who I have also identified as Abinadi


Is that why Abna was used here?  I have no idea.  It is the best I can come up with right now though.


Interestingly, as I realized just typing right now, the name of the missionary that had asked about "Abnadi" was Elder Cornum.  Kor-Num.  Which in Elvish would be "Tirion west".  Tirion is the place where I believe Faramir-Eonwe-Abinadi will be lifted up to (being Jerusalem, one of the two Holy Places), and it is traditionally thought of in Tolkien's writings as being 'west'.  Anyway, it was interesting to see not only Abna relevant from that missionary story, but also the name of the missionary, Kor-Num, as being illustrative of where "Abna" or Abinadi will be going to.


Pretty fascinating.


So, I am satisfied that I think I understand Abna, or at least I don't feel any need to look more into it right now.


Ore-aqui, then, follows up the name. This was also a bit tricky, and my solution is a mixed language one, with 'ore' , a word that has been pretty central to several of my posts (see this Oreo post, for example), being Elvish, and "aqui" being Spanish.


Ore was obvious, I think, and I won't spend any time on it here.  As I have called out before, this word can mean "Rising, Sunrise" along with some other things like perceive or seed.  For our purposes here, I am assuming something like rising.


For "Aqui" I actually first started looking into this as an Elvish word also, but wasn't really satisfied (so, I started out visualizing the work as something like "Aki").  You could have something like "Ak" and "Ki" perhaps, so something like "Narrow You".  But, it didn't really feel right and I wasn't too thrilled with any options I was seeing.


I dropped it at this point again and let it be for the rest of the day.  I took my oldest son to his hockey game tonight and as I was waiting for the game to start, I had this realization that "aki" (as I was thinking of the word) was a Spanish word as well, written 'aqui', and meaning 'here'.


This really clicked for me, and as a bonus made sense with the rest of the phrase.  Putting this all together, then, we have Abna ore-aqui meaning something like "Father of Light (Abinadi-Faramir) rising here".  And the answer to where 'here' is comes from, in addition to my prior posts that point to Tirion where Eowyn-Ilmare is, the name of the missionary who butchered Abinadi's name:  Kor-num... Tirion in the West.


Makes sense to me.  As to why the name is in Hebrew, the action of rising is in Elvish, and the description of place or "here" is in Spanish, I  don't have any idea, but it fits past patterns of mixed language phrases and sentences, so it works for me.


And as to why that phrase right now, I am not sure whether it is just meant to confirm those story elements which I have explored previously, or whether this is meant to indicate action or activity, as in this is currently or will shortly happen.  I guess we can wait and see if any additional news or phrases come with respect to this.


So there you go - again, I just wanted to log the phrase and my reasoning for what I think it means in case it comes in useful for whatever reason in the future.

8 comments:

  1. My first association is with Ore-Ida, the Mormon-founded company that invented Tater Tots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ore aqui means "pray here" in Portuguese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would mean "pray here" in Spanish as well, meaning as a command or instruction to Abna. "Abna, pray here!" Or as the past tense where someone else is speaking to Abna "Abna, I prayed here".

    Maybe it's a double meaning for Abna rising to Tirion and Abna being told to pray there in some form of intercession or request to bring about some change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting on the Portuguese and Spanish meanings meaning 'Pray Here'. Is "Ore" always pray, like the verb, or is it ever also "prayer", like a noun?

    Also, the potential double meaning for "Ore" would definitely work here and wouldn't be the first time that seemed to be the case, obviously. I am unclear what happens in Tirion (if anything), but it seems that whatever it is creates some kind of light or fire (or a beacon). Maybe that is connected to some prayer, as you say Leo. I don't know.

    On Tater Tots, my daughter's birthday was yesterday, and we just had a little brunch/ snack thing in the middle of the day to celebrate because we were running all around to different activities the rest of the day and couldn't do a dinner. One thing she wanted to make sure we had for it was a sour cream dip called "Top the Tater". Pretty emphatic about it, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The noun would be oracion, like oration in english. Orar is the infinitive. When you conjugate verbs that end in -ar you switch it to an -er to make it a command. So "ora" would be "he/she/it prays" but if you change it to "ore" it becomes a command/instruction to he/she/it to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, got it. Could 'pray here' ever be interpreted, even creatively, as someone saying they arrived somewhere through prayer, the same way someone might be instructed to 'walk here' or 'drive here'?

    ReplyDelete
  7. i see what you mean. Yeah I suppose so if it's an incomplete sentence which is what most of this kind of communication seems to be. Like if someone were communicating in broken english they might communicate that idea by saying "Abna pray here" instead of saying more clearly "hey Abna, you need to pray your way up to Tirion and here's how" (wouldn't that be nice?). In this case it's not english of course but same idea.

    So maybe the idea is "Abna, pray to get up here". Or instead it's a comment to someone else to pray Abna up there like "hey unnamed person, pray to get Abna up here".

    I guess I should also mention that oré is past tense for "I prayed" so to be thorough, you have another possibility to read it as "Abna I prayed here" which could mean "I prayed Abna up here" or just someone telling Abna "I prayed here".

    ReplyDelete
  8. That helps. My thought is just spurred a bit by an English phrase from 2019 words which may be what "Abna" says before ascending. It is on my mind a bit, so I think I will try for a quick post on it later. It would support this idea you had earlier of a double meaning of 'pray' but also 'rise', so worth a look, I think.

    ReplyDelete