Thursday, January 11, 2024

Triumvenerate fascination to behold

This morning I had a few more phrases which may tie into the themes of the last few days.  There were a few words I 'missed' at the beginning, forgetting them as I tried to hold on to them as I was waking up.  In my experience that means they are gone, won't be recovered, but not really a big deal - if it was important to remember, I would have remembered.  In one case, I remember the word "Sun River" but not where it goes, so I am going to leave it out for now.


Anyway, here is the phrase (minus the misses):

Triumvenerate fascination to behold
Most stimulating

So, after pulling that together in various fits and starts this morning, I first started with the "Triumvenerate" word which I have never heard of and was somewhat suspicious of in actually finding a meaning - or at least a meaning that didn't require a lot of creative license.   I saw 'tri' in there, so was thinking three, and 'venerate' I had heard before, but wanted to confirm a specific definition.  So, my initial hypothesis was that I would need to find something for "Tri-um-venerate".


As it turns out there is actually a complete word that is kind of close to this one, at least in having the "Trium-" beginning, which I was surprised to see, so I didn't need to break out the "um" at least, which was a bit of a relief.


When I did the online search and typed in Triumvenerate, the word or search results that Google gave back to me were "Triumvirate".   Thus, not the same word, but close, and it was interesting to see 'trium-' as a real thing.


It turns out my initial intuition on the 'three' is in line with 'trium', which means three in Latin, I guess.  Triumvirate as a complete word means, according to places like Etymonline and the online dictionary, three men holding the same authority or working together.


When I read this definition, my mind instantly went to the Three Disciples that I have written about in the past - the ones from Bountiful that Jesus gave long-life and certain authority to, and who I believe are associated with the Sawtooth Stone.  (See this post, for example, on my writings on their exploits in Utah and Idaho).


But, that is naturally where my mind would go since I have been writing about them, so something else might come to you and/ or be more accurate in determining meaning.  This is sort of my first crack, shoot-from-the-hip type of assessment.  As with everything, it could be completely wrong, or I might have different thoughts some time down the road.


In any case, though, my word was not actually Triumvirate, but Triumvenerate.  As I mentioned, I knew Venerate was a word, though wasn't completely clear on the definition.  I assumed something like in a religious setting, like worship.


Turns out I wasn't far off on that.  On Etymonline, it says "to reverence, worship".  However, it also links the word to Venus, with this being the base word for it, so you also have something like "beauty, love, desire".  Both may be applicable here in different ways.


In any case, my current hypothesis is that "Triumvenerate" was said that was as yet another play on words, or double meaning, which incorporates both the "Triumvirate" aspect of the word, but also the venerate meaning, and that at least in one meaning points to the Three Disciples.  It could also point to 3 Stones, perhaps, either the original Silmarils, or the Orthanc, Anor, and Ithil Stones and their connections due to the Light of Galadriel's hair (the Triumvenerate word somewhat bringing to mind the Legend of Zelda's Tri-force... likely because of the 'tri' and potential links to Stones).


The following phrase, "Fascination to behold", is interesting.  When that came, it actually struck me as the word Fascination being something of both a noun and an adjective, and that this word referred to - what else - the Stone.  That was my initial sense, and so in putting that together with the "Triumvenerate", you had the Three Disciples perhaps currently charged with the Stones, and that it is these Stones that would be beheld (and that would would be beheld would be fascinating).   Also, the "be-hold" can point to the Stones as things that are held, in that not only does one look into it, but one can also hold, or be-hold, it.  This wouldn't be the first time a word game like that has happened, with the "be-" type word.


In any case, we have the Stone(s) currently under the stewardship and protection of the Three Disciples (which include Nephi-Gandalf, and two of Nephi's family members, as guessed at in this post).  The Stones they carry then seems to not have yet been given to Faramir, since "to behold" implies still future action.  This was a point I was wondering about in my post "Abna ore-aqui" and then followed up with in "He returns from the Green Country having been raised up from troubled seas" in laying out, or more like reconfirming, some of the story elements around the Sawtooth, Anor, and Ithil Stones (and the Orthanc Stone, however that might fit in) and Faramir's journey to and back from Tirion.


The phrase ends with "Most stimulating".  It is also an interesting word choice or phrase.  Stimulating can mean, per Etymonline, "Goad, excite, or rouse to action".   It can also be used in generating interest and enthusiasm.  Thus, this Stone, or what is beheld on it, will be some call to action, potentially.  The waiting is over at that point, which is something I've alluded to before.  I think we wait for this event to happen, and then is the time for activity.  Could be some other meanings as well, but it seems that at the very least for Faramir-Eonwe and perhaps other Beings, the things that are beheld through this Stone or Stones are going to be 'most stimulating' and kick start off some good things.


As I was thinking more on this "Fascination to behold" wording more, I thought that I had seen something like this before in Doug's writings.  At first I thought to check the Words of Them That Have Slumbered book, but came up empty.  I then thought to look at Doug's other draft writings that had been shared with me sometime before.  William Tychonievich actually had a post of two on these writings a couple months ago (see his post here, for example).


It turns out this phrasing is very closely mirrored there, in a story that also involved Beings (just two of them, however) who are in possession of a Stone as they search for Joseph after arriving on this world from a distant place:

The tides swell, moon runs its phases forgetting, and time runs into unforeseen days, regretting whence it ran, or to what it has come; until there came to these shores, two cunning wise ones “wizards,” Blue gowned; last gathering, who first arrived, from shores no longer evident, denting up Varda's careful splendor yonder, by them not a rising foreseen; And now forsaken, finding themselves, did into stones' fascination, peer, and Lo! Marvelous were their seeings to behold, and they sat themselves down, and said one, to the other seated. . . 

Very similar wording, and I think there has to be a tie.  Just as this quoted story is about Joseph being sought after by two wizards, we seem to have three 'wizards' who also have Stones and might be then doing a similar thing with Faramir-Abinadi.


Also similarly, it seems that whatever is beheld will stimulate Faramir and others perhaps into action, and end a period of waiting.  In the Joseph story, as well as WJT's William Alizio story, you have characters that are kind of hanging around not doing much of anything who need to be spurred into action, in a way (with both being asked to go to another world or planet).  So, I see potential similarities to those stories and what is maybe being told in the developing tale of the Sawtooth, Anor, Ithil, and Orthanc Stones and the events that follow, specifically Faramir's departure for Tirion.


So, that is the best I have for today.  Both my daughter and I have managed to catch a pretty bad bug, and so I am have not been feeling the best since Sunday or so, which might impact my thinking.  I might to revisit when I am feeling better and see if there is anything else to glean or guess at from this short phrase.  I thought I would get some thoughts down while fresh, though.  As it stands now, it seems to connect with the story at hand, and to my mind, at least, suggests that the events around the Stones, linkages, etc., remains something yet to be in the future.


4 comments:

  1. Don't know if you've seen this Pixar with a 'Clawtooth Mountain' in a three-mountain mountain range.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSN9VJqd4aw

    If the Sawtooth stone is the Clawtooth Mountain, maybe the other two are the Anor (Sun) and Ithil (Moon) stones, with the young dinosaurs corresponding to them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like triumvirate with the vir- ("man") element replaced with vener- ("beloved one"). It would make a good title for the Three Disciples, since their gift of long life is comparable to that of the Beloved Disciple in the New Testament.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ben:

    No, I haven't seen that movie. It is funny how much Clawtooth sounds like Sawtooth. And it is apparently supposed to be a very old stone... just like dinosaurs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WJT:

    Good catch on an the 'vener'... I didn't think to break to 'venerate' further.

    Mormon referred to the Three Disciples as 'beloved' also on a few occasions (see Mormon 2), so that would work directly for them in addition to the link you mention with the Beloved Disciple.

    So, my sense remains that this word referred to those Three, and I penciling that in for now.

    ReplyDelete