Wednesday, January 3, 2024

The Water is Wide

 A quick follow-up to my earlier post today.


I had some time over lunch to go for a quick run, and on my playlist pops up James Taylor's "The Water is Wide".  I actually listened to this song a few times over the past couple weeks, which is why it must have come up.  It is not very good running music, that's for sure, but since I had just written about Galadriel's two songs in Lorien, and titled it "What ship will bear you back across so wide a sea?", I listened to it again.  


It struck me as something very similar to what Galadriel is saying in many ways, or at least there are some common themes.  I guess you can listen and see if it strikes you the same.


Anyway, I also looked at the art for the song, which looks like it is the album cover and name.  


You have another Man in Black, with James Taylor dressed in a black turtleneck.


The name of the album is "New Moon Shine".  In terms of links to my topics here, and even about being able to cross this sea, this title could refer to both a stone (The Moon or Ithil Stone shining) as well as a drink (Moonshine is traditionally used in the US to describe liquor that is made and sold illegally).


Also, in the upper left is a symbol like an eclipse that I think has come up before on WJT's blog, and others he has cited, though I can't remember right now in what context or why important; so just pointing it out.  





No comments:

Post a Comment