Monday, January 15, 2024

The Anchorwoman: Dream 2 of 3

 In the second short dream sequence, I saw a blonde woman in a dress but couldn't make out her face or features.  As I saw this, she was announced as "The Anchorwoman".  I understood this title to have more than one meaning, or rather, as another play on words.  The multiple meanings seemed to confirm story elements that I have been writing about here specifically with respect to the Eowyn-Ilmare story.  


I am going to just briefly go through the various meanings as I understood them (there may be more).  Really short post because I wanted to get the phrase down, but no reason to go into too much detail since much of this has already been mentioned.


1.  A host or presenter


A person who presents a live TV or radio program that involves other contributors is called an "Anchorman", such as Ron Burgundy above.  In this case, we have an Anchorwoman in Eowyn-Ilmare who will be presenting live through the connection of the Anor and Ithil Stones, speaking the news and stories that she has collected.


However, an Anchorwoman isn't the only speaker, typically, on these programs, and so perhaps this title gives us hint that there will be other contributors from her side in presenting the story.  I hadn't thought of this before, but it might make sense.


2.  "Deepen the weights depending therefrom":  Lowering anchors and ropes

We can also interpret Anchorwoman as something having to do with 'anchors', as in the weight attached to a cable, rope, or chain that is dropped from a ship to secure it in place.  A woman with an anchor.


I have associated Eowyn with the character Izilba from Doug's book, Words of the Faithful (and whom I have also called Deseret from that same time period or as an alternate name).  In that book, there are two very opaque statements or prophecies regarding her and Zhera-Jared (who is associated with Faramir), one for each of them.  Here is what is said (the situation is they had just escaped from Numenor and were heading toward Middle-earth):


The winds and waves took them withersoever, day and night, and by long store of provisions they were comfortably housed, if uneasy about their fates, to them known only dimly, but what was made known was this:  Zhera' [Jared-Faramir] would enlarge the girdle of Arda, and Izilba deepen the weights depending therefrom.


So, at least in my story, Faramir will enlarge the girdle of Arda by sailing or going to Valinor.  It was said that after Aman was taken away, and Numenor destroyed, the straight road was broken, and all roads were bent.  In this way, sailor's would sail one direction, and if they went far enough, would end up right back where they started, and thus a girdle or bound was set on Earth - one that could not be escaped.  But the Eowyn-Faramir link will change this, and Aman itself will once again be within our world's girdle.


The commentary on Izilba-Eowyn deepening "the weights depending therefrom" I think has to do with this other anchorwoman meaning, as one who has and will extend the anchor and its associated rope to those of us down below.  Or something like that.  There might be a more specific meaning, but that is the best I have right now.


These two meanings were actually the primary ones I took away from the dream, but as I thought about it more, I actually thought of a few more potential inferences:


3.  Anchors as being associated with ships

I am still trying to put my finger on it, but there is something about Eowyn-Ilmare and her association with the sea (meaning, ultimately I think, space) but also with the Teleri of Valinor.  I mentioned in a previous post that in her own journey back to Tirion from Ithilien, she perhaps stopped in Alqualonde first (I actually had this as a question mark, openly wondering), and this might be something of a homecoming also.  I don't know, but there might be something there.  We will see.


4.  A dependable or trustworthy member of the team

Often, someone who is important or critical to a team, or is a source of dependability or strength, is called an 'anchor' for that team.  I think applicable to her obviously given the various responsibilities and what is at stake in terms of apparently defending or holding down Tirion against whatever darkness surrounds it, as well as be entrusted to gather and compile the necessary stories that she will share.


5.  Last leg of a relay team

In any sort of relay race, the last leg of that relay is called the anchor leg, run by the anchorman or woman.  So, there may be some association with finality here, or the last leg in a 'race' involving many people to get something over the line, or perhaps, to finally get some important things fully compiled and pulled together.  Not necessarily a stretch to think this way, but I guess still just kind of a general statement.


In any case, some potential different ways of viewing Eowyn as an Anchorwoman.  As this particular short dream sequence followed the "Surrounding Darkness" dream, these seemed to mutually reinforce each other, and gave me a bit more confidence that we are talking about the right person here (and helped contribute to my change of who was speaking to and urging on the Three Disciples in the words I went through in my last post).

No comments:

Post a Comment