Sunday, July 28, 2024

Spaceballs and Blue Stars

 I mentioned in my post earlier today that I wanted to write on Spaceballs, of all things.


Yesterday, I started writing about those Feb. 15, 2020 words not necessarily sure where I was going with it, other than they were words that immediately followed those Feb. 14 words regarding Verlu and Joseph that I covered in the post from the day before.


As I went through the Elvish translation in the process of writing that post, I realized that it might be referring to a Blue Star and connected this with Sirius.  This was a bit of a surprise.  Earlier versions of translations that I attempted years ago had Tiliant as something like "highest peak".  But now, I saw a very clear translation that gave me "Shiniest blue star", which seemed to point directly to Sirius as I worked through a few things.  I further concluded that the place that Asenath was returning to was Tirion, and thus Tirion may be in the Sirius star system.  This was all new thinking to me, for the most part, although I am surprised I didn't make this specific connection earlier.


In any case, I concluded the post with a reference to Tatooine and the fact that this was a binary star system, just like Sirius is.


After finishing up the post, it was still kind of early-ish evening, for me at least, and I had a bunch of things going through my mind.  I wasn't ready to turn it in for the night just yet.  So I thought I'd watch something for awhile.


On one of our streaming services, I flipped through a few menus of shows, and "Spaceballs" came up as a recommended option.  I have never watched this movie before, but knew a little bit about it in that it was a Mel Brooks spoof on space movies, specifically Star Wars - the cover art had characters that seemed to riff off of Yoda, Chewbacca, Leia, Darth Vader, etc.  I had just ended my post with the Star Wars reference, and the fact that this oriented toward that movie combined, I think, with  the movie poster showing Rick Moranis, who came up recently in my post "Suddenly Seymour!", made me give the movie a shot.


At some point fairly early on in the movie, I realized the Spaceballs - just that name - might be relevant for my story here.  Space Balls.  The Anor Stone was, in my opinion, the Liahona of the Book of Mormon.  The Liahona is referred to as a Ball by three different Book of Mormon characters:  Nephi (son of Lehi), Alma (to his son Helaman), and Mormon.


I had expressed my view that the Anor Stone was delivered to Joseph back in 2020 to assist him in travelling through Space to arrive at Tirion.  I have also given my guess that many more Stones (the "Crumbs" of Asenath) will be provided to other individuals by which they will be 'plucked' or also ascend through Space to another world.


In other words, these Stones are in a very real sense Space Balls.  So when I realized this at some point early on in the movie, the name seemed interesting to me.


But that isn't what I wanted to cover in this post, really.  Rather, I wanted to touch on an interesting little wink in the film that could be interpreted as I am on the right track in linking Tirion to Sirius.  This gets fairly direct, in my opinion.


Princess Vespa, one of the main characters of the film, is from a planet called Druidia.  The name itself is relevant in that it potentially ties to this Gaelic theme - Druids are are from ancient Celtic cultures, and Gaelic is one subset of Celtic culture and language.


But I didn't really think about that until later, or really much at all as I first watched the movie, and as a standalone point, who cares.  I only started paying attention a little bit to the name when it was tied to Jews in one of the jokes later on - very specifically.  After Lone Star rescues Vespa in his flying space Winnebago, he and his dog-man Barf make a reference to Vespa being "Dru-ish", and the way it is said is very clearly meant to mean "Jewish".  Here is the clip - the lines are at the very end of the scene:


So, Lone Star calls her a "Dru-ish Princess", and then Barf follows by saying "Funny, she doesn't look Dru-ish".  Again, a clear reference to being a Jew.


This point will be further hammered home later in the film when Vespa is threatened to have her nose job that she received as a 16th birthday present undone by Lord Helmet and his plastic surgeon.  A black and white picture of Vespa with her original nose is shown.  Here that is:




As you can see, her original nose was quite large and hooked.  This is a classic racial stereotype for Jewish people, further linking Vespa and her planet with Jews, while also pointing back to Barf's joke that she didn't 'look' Dru-ish.


This scene with the nose, however, wouldn't happen until after the most interesting scene in tying some things together, so this really only served to hammer home the Jew reference.


Going back, and before getting to the scene I really want to cover, after the initial jokes about the princess being Dru-ish in that scene, I couldn't help but think of Vespa's planet as perhaps representing Valinor and Tirion.  I mean, I had just been writing about Tirion in the post I just finished prior to watching the movie, and recall that I have Tirion as being the same thing as Jerusalem - the land and city of the Jews.   Further, there is to be a Union (and reunions) on Tirion, and really the only scenes they have on Druidia are in a temple during wedding ceremonies.


My simple definition for someone who is a Jew is someone who lives in or is from Jerusalem-Tirion - in other words, very different Beings than a group of people tracing their ethnic and cultural roots back to the Middle-east here on Earth.  Not the same thing in terms of how I think of Jews, at least in how that word is used in the Book of Mormon, for example.  Very different.


For this reason, to go on a short tangent, but maybe not really, I have Eowyn-Ilmare as being the Jew from whose mouth the Book of the Lamb will be spoken (as recorded on the Ithil Stone).  Eowyn is from and will be in Tirion-Jerusalem (if she isn't already back there), thus making her a Jew according to my definition above.


Of some interest, Vespa means "Wasp", which is a bee-like insect, and Eowyn has on multiple instances been tied to and represented by Bees, creating perhaps another little link back to Druidia representing Tirion.


But I wouldn't be really writing any of this - these thoughts or little scenes - if it wasn't for a scene that occurred after the Vespa "dru-ish" jokes but before the nose job scene.  This is the direct reference that really popped, and without which, I wouldn't be making these other references and connections, or at least including them in a post.


After Vespa, Lone Star, and Barf are stranded on a desert planet (a spoof of Tatooine), there is a scene at night where Vespa looks up to the stars and says she can't seem to find her home planet of Druidia.  Lone Star points it out to her, and we find out that it is a Blue Star!  Here is the scene, with the relevant dialogue happening at about the 0:40 mark:




Again, just to set the context here and why this dialogue was just so striking to me at the time:  I had just finished writing a post about Tirion-Jerusalem potentially being associated with Sirius, the brightest star in our sky and a star that is Blue.  That post was the first time I have directly linked those two things together.  Further, as I have been watching the movie up to this point, I have already thought through Vespa and her home world of Druidia representing the "Jews" and their homeland of Tirion-Jerusalem.


I then hear Lone Star point to Druidia and say "It's right there.  It's that bright blue one."  (For those that didn't watch the clip, here is the image of Druidia in their sky)





I don't know - seemed to me at the time to be a pretty direct reference as I was sorting things out in my mind, partly paying attention to the movie and partly continuing to noodle a bit about what I had just written in my post about Sirius and Tirion.  It still does as I think about it a day removed, honestly.


So, perhaps Spaceballs and Lone Star are telling us we might be on the right track in locating Tirion in or near Sirius.  I don't see why not.


Overall, I found Spaceballs to be pretty funny.  Not all of the jokes landed with me, but there were enough to keep me laughing.  For some reason, the scene with the  VHS tape of the movie within the movie got me pretty good, but then of course I can't turn off comparisons with my story here.


The Sawtooth Stone is supposed to have a vision or a record of this world that extends to the very end.  In effect, it tells the story before the story has even been completed.  And this isn't necessarily unique, as at least two other records are said to do the same, or at least be similar in that way:  the writings of John and the record of the Brother of Jared (likely also copied by Moroni?).  It's a strange concept to accept, but apparently that is what these records represent.   In essence, this scene in Spaceballs showed just what a paradox the idea of Seer Stones and Seers can be.


As Lord Helmet asked Colonel Sanders in his confusion:  "How can there be a cassette of Spaceballs:  The Movie?  We're still in the middle of making it!".  That is the exact conundrum one has to to face in accepting that there might be writings or records that exist that tell the story before it has been 'made'.  


The part of the scene where they are "Now" cracked me up.  Here the scene is:



Anyway, wrapping up this post and back to my primary point, apparently Spaceballs could suggest that looking for Tirion around Sirius might not be a bad idea.

2 comments:

  1. Funny thing: over the weekend I’ve been crafting an origin story for the “Jews” of our world in contrast to those referenced in your story. It’s not live yet but hopefully will be soon.

    Also funny: Spaceballs. As a kid I loved the password to the atmosphere being 1-2-3-4-5. And “combing the desert”…classic. Also the ring-lightsaber fight at the end. Man, good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops, forgot to post the prior comment w my name.

    ReplyDelete