Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Ezekiel 16: Sing-fully the abominations of Jerusalem

Ever since my mind returned to the dream from yesterday morning after I wrote my second post yesterday, this notion of penalties continues to bounce around in my mind and unlodge some thinking.


It may be the dream was not completely randomly timed, or didn't have some kind of method to the madness.  A couple days ago I had been looking through Ezekiel 16.  Why?  Well, it comes up as a specific reference in my words from May/ June 2020.  Recall that I currently (and somewhat bizarrely) attribute these words to the duo of Glorfindel and Gildor, who would have been left behind on our Earth following the evacuation of Joseph and the "82" Beings, along with the Disciples and John, apparently.  So, these two are hanging out, apparently taking some time to take in the sights in Salt Lake City, and just generally being chatty about a few things while they are killing time, I guess.  I don't know - that is what I have right now.


I related some words from May 31 in a post titled "If you want to say something, say it: it's not bad" AND "guilt free if shining in Gaul".  Those May 31 words concluded with a dream of a piano that someone was sitting in front of.  Here is how I described the dream in that post:


Some kind of fabric or cloth was pulled across the keyboard to cover it, and I noticed that on this fabric was some kind of colored-template for playing a song.  Meaning, it was designed to teach you which keys to play and when in order to play a certain song.  Just play according to what the pattern on the fabric showed, and you'd be pressing the keys in the right order and rhythm to produce the right song, basically.


So there is this notion of a song that is played.  This may tie to a brief phrase that I received the very next night/ morning on June 1.  These words simply said:

 

June 1
Ezekiel 16
Sing-fully

So, I had seen that phrase earlier this month when I wrote that other post, but didn't really look into what this reference to Ezekiel might mean until a couple days ago.


I am sure I had some guesses as to what this meant back in 2020, but I don't remember them. As I looked at the chapter now, however, the very first two verses stood out to me almost like they were in big bold letters. Those first two verses go:

Again the word of the LORD came unto me, saying:
Son of man, cause Jerusalem to know her abominations.


When I read this, my mind instantly went to Lehi and his vision that opens up the Book of Mormon.  In that vision, Lehi sees (or thinks he sees, as he puts it) God surrounded by numberless angels.  He then sees a Being descend from Heaven, followed by 12 others, with the first coming up to him and handing him a book to read.  Here is how Nephi conveyed this part of his father's vision:


And it came to pass that he saw One descending out of the midst of heaven, and he beheld that his luster was above that of the sun at noon-day.

And he also saw twelve others following him, and their brightness did exceed that of the stars in the firmament.

And they came down and went forth upon the face of the earth; and the first came and stood before my father, and gave unto him a book, and bade him that he should read.


Lehi reads the Book that was given to him, and Nephi remarks that he is "filled with the Spirit of the Lord" as he read.


What does Lehi then proclaim as he reads this book?  Glad tidings to all?  All is well in Zion?  No, rather the very first words out of Lehi's mouth are these:


Wo, wo unto Jerusalem, for I have seen thine abominations!


Lehi is reading the book, and is being shown some pretty bad stuff about Jerusalem - abominations.  This is very similar to the message in Ezekiel.  Jerusalem has engaged in abominations, and they need to be shown.


Lehi ultimately will preach to the "Jews" at Jerusalem of the abominations they have engaged in, that he read of in the book, and their pending destruction unless the repent (remember my current definition is this represents the inhabitants of Tirion, not Jews on our world as presently thought of... so at least this message isn't antisemitic!).


But the fact that my mind so rapidly tied the phrase in Ezekiel 16 with the experience of Lehi leads me to believe that there could be some connection here.


The remainder of Ezekiel 16 will indeed lay out the case that those in Jerusalem have behaved pretty badly, to say the least.  It does, however, end with what I guess could considered a hopeful message, in that there is a promise and a covenant available to those people should they repent.


This is the same message or story that Lehi also seems to have read, and his reactions are ultimately net hopeful for at least some Beings, even after seeing Jerusalem be destroyed and people brought into captivity.  After seeing all of Jerusalem's abominations, here is what Nephi captures Lehi as saying:


And it came to pass that when my father had read and seen many great and marvelous things, he did exclaim many things unto the Lord; such as: Great and marvelous are thy works, O Lord God Almighty! Thy throne is high in the heavens, and thy power, and goodness, and mercy are over all the inhabitants of the earth; and, because thou art merciful, thou wilt not suffer those who come unto thee that they shall perish!

And after this manner was the language of my father in the praising of his God; for his soul did rejoice, and his whole heart was filled, because of the things which he had seen, yea, which the Lord had shown unto him.


So, ultimately despite all of the abominations he witnessed, Lehi seems to have seen this story of Redemption.  That God is merciful, and those that repent and come to him will not perish, but be forgiven and welcomed home.


Of course in Lehi's immediate experience, this didn't seem to happen, or at least not very many of his fellow Tirion inhabitants took him up on the offer to receive mercy, but instead fought the message.


Why did they fight the message?  Well, my guess is because any story of Redemption by necessity includes the details of why a Being might be in need of such a Redemption, which would be the abominations they had been a part of.  Nephi's observation seems to support this view.  After Lehi goes out and preaches, Nephi says that the Jews mocked Lehi, specifically because he testified that they had done evil:


And it came to pass that the Jews did mock him because of the things which he testified of them; for he truly testified of their wickedness and their abominations; and he testified that the things which he saw and heard, and also the things which he read in the book, manifested plainly of the coming of a Messiah, and also the redemption of the world.


Frankly, the people didn't want to hear that they had done anything wrong.  The Book that Lehi had read, however, laid it all out.  They had indeed been wicked and engaged in abominations.  But, the story need not end there, as this is a story of redemption, which that Book also testified of, specifically Jesus as the Messiah and the great plan of redemption.  But again, part of the need for redemption is based on the fact that we have become lost and one some things that are wrong.  Admitting we are lost is an important part of being redeemed, and many in Lehi's day could not bring themselves at that time to see it that way.


But how does this all tie back to those words from June 1, 2020?


In the dream of the piano on May 31, I mentioned that some sort of aid or template on a fabric or cloth was pulled across the piano keys, which basically gave the person sitting at the piano the song to play.  I believe that this song is the one mentioned in those words from the next night on June 1, the 'sing fully' reference.


"Full", per Etymonline, means "containing all that can be received; having eaten or drunk to repletion; filled; perfect, entire, utter".  Further, it goes on to mention "complete, entirely".  So, sing-fully might mean something like "sing completely".


The completeness of the song means, perhaps, that it will contain not only the good, but also the bad.  Abominations, as Ezekiel opens up by saying he is commanded to let Jerusalem know about, and that Lehi likewise showed the people.   But it also means, I think, that this song will be a 'complete or perfect' one.  No gaps or errors.  The complete song or record, form which a very accurate story can be created.


This is where the reference or tie to Lehi and his opening vision becomes important, I think, and where the Sawtooth Stone comes into play.


Lehi remarked that the One who gave him the Book that he read had a luster "above that of the sun at noon-day".  Brighter than the sun, in other words.


We have seen this phrase before in my words, specifically with respect to what I guess is the Stone Couriers at Williams Peak.  This was their dialogue when they were given the Stone to shuttle over to Tom Bombadil's House in France:


February 25, 2021
A bright star - brighter than the Sun
Going to have the experience of Joseph Smith
We need to write all of this down
[A comment that whatever it is that they were talking about being the size of a cantaloupe, but I didn't catch all of the words]
A stone to come. Soon. Be ready, and have fun.


When the Sawtooth Stone was transferred into their possession, it was called a 'bright star - brighter than the Sun", a description that fits fairly exactly with the One who gave Lehi the Book that he read.  As a quick aside, the language is somewhat ambiguous, and William Tychonievich makes an interesting point that perhaps the Being who presented the Book to Lehi was actually the 'first' of the Twelve, and not the One.  I thought it was an interesting take.  I am not sure as to what accurate interpretation is, but the important thing is that he also landed on Joseph being in some way represented here, even if by a different road.  Though it was the Brass Plates, I believe, that he connected the vision to - whereas my mind specifically goes to the Sawtooth Stone.  However, as I've thought through openly on this blog, I think both of these records come into play in the future, and they both tie back to Joseph in some fashion.  So, I am not sure we have to be limited in our thinking here to one exact interpretation.


In any case, focusing on the Stone, once the Seer is in possession of it, they will also be called on to write or and speak to the abominations of Jerusalem, just as Lehi did after his own perusal through some of it, and just as Ezekiel was called to do, whoever and wherever that was.  The Story isn't going to be all motherhood and apple pie.  There are going to be some bad things, times, and Beings in it.  But, at the same time, it will also be a story of redemption - of better times ahead for all those who choose to repent.  Particularly once combined with Eowyn's record on the Ithil Stone, which I currently take to be the Book of the Lamb, I think a story of redemption will be clearly spelled out for not only the Family of Light, but all who would wish to join that family.  I believe it will sound like a pretty good deal.


The Sawtooth Stone will have Joseph's vision or story on it.  As I currently understand or guess at it, it will have been Joseph who saw or created this story, Faramir-Eonwe who helped to record it (as the Secret-ary), and many Beings on hand to witness it.  This is one reason why I currently guess that the Disciples mentioned to a sick and forgetful Joseph when they joined up with him on or around March 5, 2020 in my words that "Every word described was brilliant".  What were these words he described?  The ones he spoke from the very beginning or foundation of this world.  They had been there!  And probably could remember, perhaps based on Jesus' having shown them unspeakable things when he briefly showed them Heaven during his visit in Bountiful.  Joseph's words were brilliant - brighter than the sun.  I think they were giving him encouragement in telling him this, and he would ultimately return home with them at the conclusion of that dialogue.


One last thing that I found an interesting tie to all of this.  I mentioned my library visit with my kids, where I got the book I've mentioned a few times recently.   I also said I helped my youngest son pick out his books, but my daughter was pretty self-sufficient and picked out her own books and used her library card (that is linked to mine) to check out her books.  She picked out several, but only showed me one on the way home.


Yesterday, the library sent me an auto-renewal notice for all of the books we checked out so we can keep them for longer (which is good - I've made it chapter 7 on my book, but I have a ways to go).  I scanned the list of books quickly, and the title for one book on my daughter's list (turns out she checked out 5) jumped out at me immediately.  That title?  Brighter than the Sun.   And then I noticed the title for another book she checked out... Over the Moon.  


Sun Moon time, indeed.






No comments:

Post a Comment