Sunday, August 11, 2024

Rose: Daz papa's book

In a dream image from this morning I saw something like a paper or a placard with the phrase  "Rose:  Daz papa's book".


That was it.


"Rose"seems like it would refer to what I have been calling the Sawtooth Stone.  I have been looking for a better name, since that name largely just comes from the fact that the Stone was retrieved from the Sawtooth Mountains.  Now that we have this Red imagery in relation to the Stone, as well as this Rose Gold or Pink symbolism, I am going to adopt Rose as the name of this Stone, at least in how I refer to it.  So, Rose Stone will be the new naming convention going forward starting now.


The rest of the phrase, as I think about it now, reminds me of the dialect from something like an Uncle Remus story.  My dad would read us those stories as kids, and he would do such a good job of speaking for each character.   I had also thought through whether Daz was meant to be Das, like the German for "That", but I don't think that is the case here.  The combination of "Daz Papa" just seems to have that Remus/ Deep South dialect to it.  And that could make sense for all sorts of reasons, one being this topic of Book Bans.  Remus' tales would be another collection that falls within that category.  Here is the book we had growing up.



Even here I believe these are adaptation of Joel Chandler Harris' words, but the writing reflected the original dialect as Harris wrote it.  For example (from Harris' original in the 1880s):


"'Mawnin'!' sez Brer Rabbit, sezee—'nice wedder dis mawnin',' sezee.

"Tar-Baby ain't sayin' nuthin', en Brer Fox he lay low.

"'How duz yo' sym'tums seem ter segashuate?' sez Brer Rabbit, sezee.

"Brer Fox, he wink his eye slow, en lay low, en de Tar-Baby, she ain't sayin' nuthin'.


Disney made a movie in 1946 called "Song of the South" based on the Uncle Remus stories (I think the book my dad read us was maybe from the 60s).  That movie is currently "banned".  I use that word in scare quotes, because AI tells me as a result of my search that, in wonderfully Orwellian language, the movie isn't banned, per se, you just presently have no option to view it publicly in North America.  Here is the first sentence of the AI-generated response to my asking if Song of the South is banned:


Song of the South is not banned, but Disney voluntarily removed it from public viewing in North America.


I also have memories of my dad going around the house singing "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" in the mornings to wake us up and get us going for the day.  That song has been removed from Disneyland's parades, where it used to be featured.  And the company's iconic Splash Mountain ride at its theme parks was closed last year because it was based on "Song of the South".


It's not banned, though.  Nope.


There are a few reasons I think I may be on to something in interpreting my dream with this Uncle Remus and Banned Book connection in mind, which I am just thinking through as I am writing this and thinking - so this is just writing-out-loud here.


First, and most obviously, the phrase itself mentions a Book, and I have tied it to the Rose Stone, which for all intents and purposes should be THE banned book of all books from the perspective of the Great and Abominable Church.  This book they would rather not have published.


Uncle Remus was the pen name or persona/ device that John Chandler Harris adopted in his writings to convey his stories.  So, although Harris collected the tales, it was through Remus that these tales were given.  Harris is a name that should seem familiar to readers, because it is a variant of Harry.  In my previous post regarding Harry and the Hendersons, I likened Harry the Bigfoot to Faramir-Eonwe.  Faramir , uniquely in my story is also a Twin, with his sister Asenath, and they comprise the Holy Ghost, in somewhat of a strange element that has been around for awhile in my mind.


What does the name Remus, the pen name that Harris adopts in writing these tales, mean?  Twin.  This name also ties us back, by the way, to Rome (Romulus and Remus being the two twins of Roman founding myth).


And then there is the original title that Harris used for his book:  Uncle Remus, His Songs and His Sayings: The Folk-Lore of the Old Plantation.


His "Songs and Sayings".  I have likened what is on the Rose Stone to a Song - Joseph's Song, to be exact, and here we have Harris' book of compiled narratives being referenced to as "Songs".  In my recent analogy of the Anor and Rose Stones with Golden Echo Harmonicas, it is songs and music that are played using those instruments.


In any case, the dream phrase also, in my mind, serves to more directly tie Stones with the term "Book".  The Rose Stone is a Book, in this context.  And so when we read of Books, and prophecies regarding them, in the Book of Mormon, it is helpful to keep in mind that it may be to Stones (and the writings and Songs found on them) that are being referred to in some cases.

1 comment:

  1. In case it wasn't clear, in this case I assume the "Papa" from the dream message is Joseph. It is his story that is on the Rose Stone. Thus, I also guess the message writer was one of his Daughters.

    ReplyDelete